That is a loaded question that we get a lot! Let’s dive into this subject, but before we do, please remember that we always recommend to consult with your doctor about supplements that you want to take during your pregnancy. Every woman is different and your baby’s health is the most important thing!
With that being said, let’s dive into the research! We’re going to talk about whether or not you should take probiotics during a pregnancy. We’ll go over the pros and cons of taking the probiotics and share a lot of interesting data with you today!
Let’s talk about how the probiotics work in our body. Probiotics are good bacteria strains that help you fight and stop recurring bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections, and UTIs. V-Luxe probiotics contain good bacteria strains that are naturally found in the vagina. Our probiotics help balance your vaginal pH level by producing lactic acid. A healthy vaginal pH level is 3.5 – 4.5 and it’s the perfect level to prevent bad bacteria and yeast from overgrowing. That’s how V-Luxe probiotics prevent and stop recurring BV, yeast infections, and UTIs. The probiotics are the natural defense you have against bad bacteria.
There have been multiple studies that show bacterial vaginosis has been linked to preterm labor and low-weight babies. That’s why it’s extremely important to go see your doctor and ask them to monitor you for bacterial vaginosis when you’re pregnant. On the contrary, while there has been limited research about taking probiotics during a pregnancy, the American Pregnancy Association classifies probiotics as a safe supplement. “The likelihood of contracting bacteremia from taking Lactobacillus probiotics is less than 1 per 1 million”. This is a very low risk and from our point of view, getting BV during a pregnancy could be a lot more concerning.
Healthline gathered evidence from multiple studies that showed taking probiotic supplement during a pregnancy is safe and actually provided many benefits to the expecting mother and new born! “Probiotics are popular supplements that are safe to take if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding. In fact, taking them during pregnancy has been linked to benefits like fewer pregnancy complications, reduced risk of eczema in babies, and improved markers of metabolic health in expectant mothers.”
The bottom line – if you are prone to recurring bacterial vaginosis, yeast infections, and UTIs, we highly recommend you ask your doctor if you can take probiotic supplements during your pregnancy as they can provide you with amazing benefits on preventing these infections and reducing the risks of preterm labor and low-weight babies.
So, now that we established how beneficial probiotics could be, here are a few things you should know when you shop for them:
- The strains - many companies will include a huge list of good bacteria strains as a way to make their product seem more beneficial. The truth is, you really only need the specific strains that have been clinically tested and proven to provide you with benefits. We recommend googling each strain to make sure there is enough information about it so that you know it’s going to be beneficial for you.
- Look for a vegetarian formula. No sugar, preservatives , gluten or dairy should be included in a great probiotic formula. You and your baby don’t need the extra “fluff”.
- Look for a formula that includes prebiotics. Prebiotics is the food for the good bacteria, it will help the good bacteria thrive in your vagina, which is exactly what we want!
- Look for a probiotic with a CFU guarantee. Make sure that the good bacteria strains will stay alive through the product’s expiration date, not through the product’s production/manufacturing date.
- Look for a probiotic formula that guarantees that the probiotics will be able to survive your stomach acid, otherwise, most of the good bacteria will die in the digestive system and won’t provide you with the benefits that you need.
Our V-Luxe probiotics include 8 strains of good bacteria that will help you regulate your vaginal pH level. All you need to do is take the probiotics every day. It’s really important to stay consistent with the probiotics to make sure you’ll get all of their benefits. We’ll include a link to shop for our probiotics in the description below. Click here to shop V-Luxe probiotics and learn more about what makes us different!